Bumping this up a bit- I get a lot of inspiration from other's pages, so here are two of mine, so please post yours!

Views: 1766

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, You should, Deb! That wold be great!!!

WOW - I just read Susanne's note about a collaborative Journal project. What a totally awesome idea.  How did you get linked up with something like that?  It is so appealing!

I too love the Exodus page, please tell me how you achieve that look/ what medium? I would love to try something like that, it looks brilliant.
Susanne, I love your pages too.

Amanda said:

Ahhh, I know that feeling- we just finished a week of rain. But with the drought, we needed it. I love that one with the window- ingenious!

I love it!!! 
Susanne Skene said

A few weeks back I was involved in a private art swap with TAC member Rita Melgert.  When I received my atc's from Rita I was thrilled and after looking over her beautiful collaged card and mixed media atc's I was about to put it all away when suddenly a very small bundle came out of hiding.  It was an inchie journal made from all kinds of leftover ephemera Rita had put together in this book.  I was thrilled!  I already carry around me at all times a twinchie journal (2"X2") that I take out when I am in coffee shops or restaurants and where I draw patrons or anything else that catches my eye.  Now I had something even smaller to test my drawing skills and I always love a new challenge.  The 1"X1" journal Rita gave me I have called FACES.  And I will draw either faces or parts of faces in this particular journal.  Because of the very small ground though I find that I've had to be a little more intense while viewing my subject which has caused on occasion for a few people to squirm.  It's funny how people freeze when they know they are being observed by a kooky artist LOL!  But my wee journal is about FACES so I'm going to have to look once or twice at someone and try and get some kind of expressionistic portrait down on this little page before my subject makes a run for it. Here's a couple of entries and a look at my little journal from Rita.

Hi to all,

I am new to altered books/art journaling and I love it.  I want to collage in my books more, but haven't organized my materials, so it's hard to put something together.

Anyway, if I want to paint on the pages first what type of paint would I use?  I tested pages with acrylic art paint, acrylic craft paint, and gesso.  I don't like how it feels under my markers.  I love markers.  And how do you get the vintage look?  Is there a cheap version?  I was thinking about a thick glass of tea and a paint brush.  When using photos do you use the actual print or a paper printed version from the computer, or either and does it matter?  The wolves look like a photo, but it also looks like it's painted on. 

I'm going to use odd items to make book covers (like a board game board) and I'm into all kinds of paper (grocery bags, old scrap book paper, sketch books, but then I found canvas paper.  I like that a lot.  It's a kids painting book.  What else do people use? 

I carry around a couple altered books (my apologies to the author of What They Didn't Teach You At Harvard Business School...lol) and since I carry them around I'm not going to make them collages (as such), but I do like to cut out pictures from catalogs; jewelry, dishes, etc. paste them in the altered book then decorate around them with markers.

I'm glad I found out about this art form.  It's very tactile and I love to 'feel' things.

Patty

Wow!  I really love the 'Inchy' and 'Twinchy'!  They would make doodling a little less conspicuous than a larger altered book.

The faces are very nice.

Patty

Maria Ximena Silva said:

I love it!!! 
Susanne Skene said

A few weeks back I was involved in a private art swap with TAC member Rita Melgert.  When I received my atc's from Rita I was thrilled and after looking over her beautiful collaged card and mixed media atc's I was about to put it all away when suddenly a very small bundle came out of hiding.  It was an inchie journal made from all kinds of leftover ephemera Rita had put together in this book.  I was thrilled!  I already carry around me at all times a twinchie journal (2"X2") that I take out when I am in coffee shops or restaurants and where I draw patrons or anything else that catches my eye.  Now I had something even smaller to test my drawing skills and I always love a new challenge.  The 1"X1" journal Rita gave me I have called FACES.  And I will draw either faces or parts of faces in this particular journal.  Because of the very small ground though I find that I've had to be a little more intense while viewing my subject which has caused on occasion for a few people to squirm.  It's funny how people freeze when they know they are being observed by a kooky artist LOL!  But my wee journal is about FACES so I'm going to have to look once or twice at someone and try and get some kind of expressionistic portrait down on this little page before my subject makes a run for it. Here's a couple of entries and a look at my little journal from Rita.

Not seen this entry before, it's soooooo sweet, so neatly finished, just so cute

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Thaneeya McArdle created this art community as an interactive extension of her art education site, Art-is-fun.com.

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Anton Abela

Pat

Follow Us!

Follow Art-is-Fun.com on Twitter for art news, ideas and inspiration!

Support this Site

www.dickblick.com

If you make a purchase from Blick Art Materials (above) or Amazon.com (below) after clicking one of these links, Art-is-fun.com will receive a small percentage of the sale.

Your support is much appreciated!

www.dickblick.com

Learn how to Draw Groovy with Thaneeya's new book, which is published by F+W Media!

Sales of Thaneeya's book will help fund the costs of running this site.

Your support is much appreciated!

Art Supply Spotlight

We use this space to spotlight a cool art supply you may not have heard of, changing the featured items every few days. Enjoy!

Members

© 2014   Created by Thaneeya LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service