I was in an Artist's Way group for quite some time.  One of the projects we did was to make and pass around an altered book with a topic of our choosing.  Each member of our group would add to each others book - we passed them amongst ourselves weekly.  As a project, it greatly energized my creative side.  As you may know, choosing a topic can be the most difficult at times . .  handed off to you, you just have to run with it.  I'll just post the ones I did in my own book, and now feel inspired to work on another page or two.  Thanks for this sharing.

Tags: Altered, Books

Views: 181

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

What a fun idea Sherril. I love the textured tree cover and the two paintings of trees you shared. What do think of doing something like this in a virtual book? Choose a topic and put it up at the beginning of the month in the collage group and have people contribute a page? It would be so interesting to see how different artists interpret the theme in collage!

Oh, that sound like fun. . . A virtual book?  Sure, I'd love to do that - see how others take a theme.  In our group, one person chose song lyrics as their theme, and we had to make a picture based on the stanza.  THAT was interesting, and loads of fun.  How would we go about setting this up?

Suzanne Vadnais Monson said:

What a fun idea Sherril. I love the textured tree cover and the two paintings of trees you shared. What do think of doing something like this in a virtual book? Choose a topic and put it up at the beginning of the month in the collage group and have people contribute a page? It would be so interesting to see how different artists interpret the theme in collage!

I think it is pretty easy to set this up Sherril! I love the song lyrics idea. I'll do a little research about getting this set up. I'm thinking we can get started in January...first of the year...after Christmas! Does this work for you?

What a wonderful way to help girls away at boarding school bond with each other and make friends. I did something similar at a summer camp when I was 12 years old. There is something so easy about doing this, I remember feeling so excited about getting to make art and write poems for a new friend!

Thank you for sharing this special story Sandi. And as I read through the thread I realize that we did not get the virtual book idea off the ground at the beginning of January! I think it's something I need to get taken care of right away! ; >

No worries Sandi. We are going to get this going as a "virtual" book. We can each create our page and upload it in one thread so it comes together as a book...online! Look for the new Virtual book project to launch on the Art Journalers group the beginning of February!

I did The Artist's Way last fall and learned so much from it. Love the idea of the joint book! What a treasure when finished!

I like that idea!! A gal (mother of a friend of mine) that got me started on quilting made this (or should i say continued to make) this large quilt where every woman in the family made a quilt square of a flower (embroidered it on, and embroidered their name) and quilted onto the quilt. This was passed on from her mother. Unfortunately my "friend" is not a quilter and put it away. I mentioned this to her as she now has one grandaugher and another one on the way. I have started something similar. I took the first year clothes from all 3 grandaughers and have made quilt tops (not quilted) and then maybe they can add their kids clothes to it etc etc.

That's great Christina!  When I was in my teens, I made a quilt, with my mother's help, with material that was familiar to me - a favorite shirt, my mother's apron, my grandmothers dress, etc, etc.  It was a wonderful way to keep alive my past, and was very lovely as well.

It's a great idea.

Christina Mcclintock said:

I like that idea!! A gal (mother of a friend of mine) that got me started on quilting made this (or should i say continued to make) this large quilt where every woman in the family made a quilt square of a flower (embroidered it on, and embroidered their name) and quilted onto the quilt. This was passed on from her mother. Unfortunately my "friend" is not a quilter and put it away. I mentioned this to her as she now has one grandaugher and another one on the way. I have started something similar. I took the first year clothes from all 3 grandaughers and have made quilt tops (not quilted) and then maybe they can add their kids clothes to it etc etc.

I loved the adventurous process of doing The Artist's Way. I always recommend it to people who are rediscovering their creative voice or learning a new medium for the first time. It is such a hopeful and helpful guided journey that really builds confidence. I am so happy that you also enjoyed this beautiful opportunity to really explore your creativity Mary Margaret! I believe this book changes lives. ; >

Mary Margaret Hickman said:

I did The Artist's Way last fall and learned so much from it. Love the idea of the joint book! What a treasure when finished!

Love this idea!

Christina Mcclintock said:

I have the Artist's Way.  Will have to wait until I move to get into it.

Suzanne Vadnais Monson said:

I loved the adventurous process of doing The Artist's Way. I always recommend it to people who are rediscovering their creative voice or learning a new medium for the first time. It is such a hopeful and helpful guided journey that really builds confidence. I am so happy that you also enjoyed this beautiful opportunity to really explore your creativity Mary Margaret! I believe this book changes lives. ; >

Mary Margaret Hickman said:

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Thaneeya McArdle created this art community as an interactive extension of her art education site, Art-is-fun.com.

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Anton Abela

Pat

Follow Us!

Follow Art-is-Fun.com on Twitter for art news, ideas and inspiration!

Support this Site

www.dickblick.com

If you make a purchase from Blick Art Materials (above) or Amazon.com (below) after clicking one of these links, Art-is-fun.com will receive a small percentage of the sale.

Your support is much appreciated!

www.dickblick.com

Learn how to Draw Groovy with Thaneeya's new book, which is published by F+W Media!

Sales of Thaneeya's book will help fund the costs of running this site.

Your support is much appreciated!

Art Supply Spotlight

We use this space to spotlight a cool art supply you may not have heard of, changing the featured items every few days. Enjoy!

Members

© 2014   Created by Thaneeya LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service