What I love about temporary art is that it is art with no pressure. It isn’t going to be sticking around for very long so there isn’t a lot of stress about the art being GREAT!

It can be silly. It can be really cheap or even free. It can even be something you are really bad at doing. In short, very little is on the line with temporary art. Temporary art is creative expression in the moment. 

Chalk art is some of my favorite temporary art. It gives you a huge free canvas with big chunky art supplies to play with. Drawing in this way is a no pressure way to explore line and shape. It’s also a great warm up exercise. You really have to move your whole arm when you draw with sidewalk chalk!

Temporary art is a way to come back in the door to making art. You don’t have to be a great artist. All you need is an idea and a place to put it!

Tags: art, chalk, temporary

Views: 209

Replies to This Discussion

How delighful that you love this painting Meg. It clearly speaks to you...teases your curious imaginiation. These are the pieces I want more of on my walls!

Just uploaded a little photo of today's attempt at the November impermanent art challenge over in that discussion. Thought I would add a link here, as we are busy talking impermanent art - or we were until Michael and I dragged the discussion off track (as usual!).

http://community.art-is-fun.com/group/artjournalers/forum/topics/no...

Meg, I wasn't exactly sure where to put this! I just took a stab and posted!
Good stab! I think it's working out just fine!

What have you painted on the walls of your house Sandi? Can you show us any of these? I had a friend a long time ago who did such amazing things with the walls of her home. I remember a woman with long flowing hair floating alongside the staircase that really impressed me! I would love to see what you've done.

sandi said:

Loves to paint on the walls of my house. One way to afford the costly canvasses while learning.
Meg Mackenzie said:

My parents, and I still don't know what possessed them, let us draw on the walls of my room before it was rewallpaperd. What incredible fun! Drawing on walls had NEVER been encouraged. Later I got some contracts to paint murals. That brought back the memories of scrawling on the walls. I don't recall doing anything brilliant on the wall of my room, as I knew that it would soon be covered over. But I left messages for whoever stripped the wallpaper back next.

When I was painting my kitchen, I discovered a message written in sharpie in the space where my kitchen drawers pull out. It lays claim to having painted all of the whites in the house on 11 January 01, and is signed by Gavin. I added a message, which reads: "Well I wouldn't be too proud of that if I were you, Gavin. I have just spent days scraping your whites off the floor, the windows, the hinges, and the coloured walls." I signed and dated it. I like to think of the person who will find it next and complain about MY paint job!

I love this! It looks like a snapshot of real life- and believable!

Meg Mackenzie said:

I know what you mean, Michael. I call it "motel art".

You would probably cope better than some with the painting on my living room wall, Michael. My mother-in-law calls it "that ugly painting". But then, I'm not too concerned about her  artistic judgment.

It's fairly large, jammed into a crooked home-made frame (complements of the artist), and it has so many odd elements. I adore this painting. I never get sick of it. Why is the green-shirted girl reaching for the wrong cup. She clearly isn't taking any notice of her friend who seems to be chattering away. Why is there watermelon served with the tea? Why and more to the point how is the cockatiel clinging to the outside of the cage? There are so many other things...

When I look at this painting with a 'critical eye', I keep telling myself it shouldn't work. But the fact is, I visited a cafe where it was hung for about a year, just so that I could sit and look at it. The artist, when I finally met him, realised that I loved it so very much but just couldn't afford his price, so he kindly sold it to me for about 1/3 of his sale price. It would hardly fit into the back seat of the car as it is so big. It has moved to Australia and back with me.

My mother-in-law wanted me to put a print of a potted fern (from a department store) up on the wall to replace this. How ghastly. But then, mother-in-laws are sent to challenge us, I suppose.

Glad you like it, Amanda. I still love it, so many years on.

I would put this up on my wall any day Meg and totally agree with Amanda's take on this painting.  It makes you smile - looks like two girlfriends just enjoying each other's company and a cuppa brew.  Love it!

Yes, that's why I love it, too. It's so ... ordinary. And yet is has so many little elements to it. The artist's school of training is given away only in the way he has painted the two glazed pots on the terrace to the left - and that's probably only if you have seen a lot of work come out of this school. The rest of the work is challenging to critique. It works so well, and yet it is difficult to say why - when it comes to all of the "rules" of composition and logic, it really does seem to break them all. And that's part of its mystery as an artwork - so not only do I love it, but because of its mystery it never grows old for me.

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Thaneeya McArdle created this art community as an interactive extension of her art education site, Art-is-fun.com.

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Anton Abela

Pat

Follow Us!

Follow Art-is-Fun.com on Twitter for art news, ideas and inspiration!

Support this Site

www.dickblick.com

If you make a purchase from Blick Art Materials (above) or Amazon.com (below) after clicking one of these links, Art-is-fun.com will receive a small percentage of the sale.

Your support is much appreciated!

www.dickblick.com

Learn how to Draw Groovy with Thaneeya's new book, which is published by F+W Media!

Sales of Thaneeya's book will help fund the costs of running this site.

Your support is much appreciated!

Art Supply Spotlight

We use this space to spotlight a cool art supply you may not have heard of, changing the featured items every few days. Enjoy!

Members

© 2014   Created by Thaneeya LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service