Information

Beginners

This is the place or beginners to gather and ask questions, seek feedback, and share their thoughts and experiences. Experienced artists willing to provide encouragement and share what they know are also welcome here.

Members: 495
Latest Activity: 12 hours ago

Welcome

Hello and Welcome to the Beginners Group!

This is the place or beginners to gather and ask questions, seek feedback, and share their thoughts and experiences. Experienced artists willing to provide encouragement and share what they know are also welcome here.

If you are a beginner and would like to share your art, you can either post in the Show & Tell thread or start your own discussion.

If you are a beginner and would like some advice on a specific work-in-progress, you can either post in the WIP thread or start your own discussion.

Experienced Artists--please don't share your artwork in this group unless you are using it to answer a beginner's question.

Click here to learn how to upload images into your forum posts (which is important so that people can see your art within the post, rather than as an attachment link beneath your post).

Just two simple rules:

• Please keep all discussions relevant to beginner topics.
  • Be friendly and considerate in your posts.

Thanks for joining & have fun!

Discussion Forum

Realistic skin tones

Started by Leeton reed. Last reply by Leeton reed Jul 31. 4 Replies

Ok so I am using derwent artist pencils and am trying to get preferably a pale skin tone, would like to know what would be the suggested pencils to use to achieve this, and a basic idea how to get it to work, any advice appreciated, thank you.

the use of reference..

Started by Mika vahlqvist. Last reply by Leeton reed Jul 28. 14 Replies

I have always liked to use my imagination and not use any reference pictures or anything, i have felt it would be almost "cheating" in a way to use reference.But to be honest there are like 1 million poses and i would never be able to just learn…READ MORE

Tags: drawing, reference

critique for my first ever portrait pls

Started by Maria Lalala. Last reply by Leeton reed Jul 28. 10 Replies

its my first portait so any feedback will be…READ MORE

Blending color pencils..

Started by Tina Rich. Last reply by Tina Rich Jul 28. 3 Replies

I am trying to learn how to blend color pencils and I am not doing a good job. Does anyone have any tips on blending?Thanks....TinaREAD MORE

Gesso

Started by Becky Bailey. Last reply by Margaret Hamm (Maggie) Jul 22. 2 Replies

Do you gesso, even when using pre-primed canvas? If so, do you use colored gesso or add color to it as a part of starting the under-painting?  Any thoughts on best brands of gesso?  What about consistency?  Is thick better?READ MORE

Floating colors

Started by Beth Scrozzo. Last reply by Becky Bailey Jul 21. 1 Reply

HELP~~ I'm doing an exercise where I need to float the acrylic paint. I've watched a few videos on YouTube..but now I'm even more confused.  Can someone please explain this process to me??            Thank you!   BethREAD MORE

Media Change !

Started by Reham A. Lasheen. Last reply by Reham A. Lasheen Jun 9. 9 Replies

Hey there , I have been drawing since , well a lot ..but only in pencils , mostly  mechanical pencils & I've  been thinking about trying something new , maybe paints ?  , but it's so confusing for a beginner in   " painting " to decide , which…READ MORE

the eyes have it

Started by michele josiane martin. Last reply by michele josiane martin May 21. 2 Replies

coloured pencils and pastels are the coolest…READ MORE

i love pastels

Started by michele josiane martin. Last reply by michele josiane martin May 20. 7 Replies

and charcoal and graphite, …READ MORE

hello, i've done some more pieces…i'm drawing every day!

Started by michele josiane martin. Last reply by michele josiane martin May 13. 5 Replies

hope these are ok to look t!…READ MORE

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Beginners to add comments!

Comment by Margaret Hamm (Maggie) on March 1, 2012 at 2:06am

Looks good.

Comment by Christina Mcclintock on February 29, 2012 at 11:57pm

432333_280577918677837_100001768934867_663029_59129909_n.jpg

My first attempt at Zentangles. Of course all i had was regular pencils and the only paper i had was acrylic paper but i was just playing

Comment by Theresa Graeve on February 11, 2012 at 9:55pm

Here is my recent colored pencil/ with 3D effects

Comment by Donna Duquette on January 26, 2012 at 3:41pm

Hi Robyn, welcome to The Art Colony!  The monthly theme is for you to interpret any way you wish, using any medium you wish.  There are no rules, really, except that we do ask that you only post new work that you created for the theme rather than posting older works that happen to fit the theme.  :)

Comment by Robyn Phillips on January 26, 2012 at 2:26pm

I am so new to the site, can someone help me understand the theme forum for every month? Is there a pic we look at and then do ourselves or do we jut create our own  drawings from the title given? example: January 2012 theme is love life. do i create the love of my life or am i missing a pic i was to see and create what i inteurpt? Thanks! I am confused  lol

Comment by Devora Baht Y'shua on January 15, 2012 at 2:35pm

Someone please tell me how do you safely mount a pastel on a surface to protect it?

Comment by Donna Duquette on January 15, 2012 at 9:38am

That's beautiful, Yahchile!  If this is your first watercolor ever, I'd say that you should definitely do more.

Comment by Cheri Homaee on January 15, 2012 at 4:31am

Very nice and good job for your first watercolor.

Comment by Margaret Hamm (Maggie) on January 14, 2012 at 11:42pm

You did a great job on this painting.  It doesn't look like a first time painting. I like it.  I have some watercolors that I am waiting to try, have to pack and move first, but I wanted to do something like this or even deeper.  I don't care for the watercolor paintings that are thin.

Comment by Devora Baht Y'shua on January 14, 2012 at 10:07pm

The painting below is the first watercolor I ever did in the only class I ever took last year. The name of it is 'AUTUMN BIRCHES, By Debra Daniel

Members (495)

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Thaneeya McArdle created this art community as an interactive extension of her art education site, Art-is-fun.com.

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Anton Abela

Pat

Follow Us!

Follow Art-is-Fun.com on Twitter for art news, ideas and inspiration!

Support this Site

www.dickblick.com

If you make a purchase from Blick Art Materials (above) or Amazon.com (below) after clicking one of these links, Art-is-fun.com will receive a small percentage of the sale.

Your support is much appreciated!

www.dickblick.com

Learn how to Draw Groovy with Thaneeya's new book, which is published by F+W Media!

Sales of Thaneeya's book will help fund the costs of running this site.

Your support is much appreciated!

Art Supply Spotlight

We use this space to spotlight a cool art supply you may not have heard of, changing the featured items every few days. Enjoy!

Members

© 2014   Created by Thaneeya LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service